One bite of perfection is often enough, and this year on Savor the Salt, I’ll be exploring small bites for every occasion.
Though we all might need to trim down after a season of over-indulgence (myself included), I meant to post this bite-sized sweet sooner. So today’s new year post starts with a tiny sweet treat. Since we all have birthdays and other celebrations to attend throughout the year, this diminutive treat might be just what’s called for. Are these Maple Dreams indulgent? Yes. And are they just the right portion size? Absolutely!
Sweets in moderation are exactly what’s called for at special celebrations – especially when they combine the amazing flavors of chocolate and nuts.
One batch double fudge brownies
1 cup whipped cream, unsweetened
1/2 cup maple frosting
1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
1-inch round cookie cutter
Pastry bag fitted with large star tip
Method of Preparation:
1. Bake brownies until fudgy. This typically means taking them out of the oven at the low end of the recommended bake time, and allowing them to rest until they are cool enough to be handled.
2. Using the 1-inch cookie cutter, cut brownies into as many rounds as you’d like to serve. There are two methods to consider here. You can bake the brownies in a 9×9″ pan, or you can spread out the batter onto a baking sheet with sides and adjust the cooking time to make crunchier rounds. Since the fudgy middle offers a great bite in this dessert, I prefer baking brownies in the traditional method, cutting the rounds then halving them at the center to create two slimmer discs that can be neatly layered.
3. Arrange half of the brownie rounds on your serving platter about 1 1/2″ apart. Set platter aside.
4. In mixing bowl, whip maple frosting until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Fold in the unsweetened whipped cream and combine until you have a smooth mousse.
5. Transfer mousse into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe mousse onto center of each brownie round.
6. Top each treat with a second brownie round and mousse. Sprinkle chopped roasted peanuts on each dessert. Enjoy!
Reserve any extra bits of brownies and nuts to create ice-cream or yogurt blend-ins. Simply store in a zippered bag and freeze until needed.